Thursday, June 17, 2010

X- Files

So first I need to apologize to those of you who actually read my blog, since I have not posted in a couple weeks.  This situation is mostly due to my recluse nature here recently brought on somewhat by depression and self-pity, but mostly from a new obsession.  This new obsession has caused me to basically put my life on hold (where possible) in order to watch the entirety of X- Files starring David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson.  What started out as just a side-track T.V. show until I focus on my next book club book, turned into an actual addiction.  Not only have I deprived myself from sleep, but I also basically went over 36 hours without food while watching all of the episodes of this show.  For those of you who know me personally, you know that this proves my insane addiction to this show, because food is my number one priority in life.  

The biggest discussion here needs to be not just the amount of my fascination but the cause behind that fascination.  Judging by the huge audience and the numerous awards that this show received during its running, there is no question to the quality of the work.  The actors and writing were excellent.  My obsessions (and yes I have a history of them) almost always stem from focusing on certain people and characters.  And like the numerous so-called X-File cults, I am sure that I am not alone in my new found stalking appetite for both David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson.  The character relationship which they created was excellent.  Their on-screen chemistry is the best and most real I have ever experienced. 

In addition to the actors attributions to the show, its creator has done a wonderful job in combining real-life mysteries, stories, and even actual events  with new legends into a series that really envelopes you into its world.  There are really three types of X-File episodes.  One is kind of a backgrounder.  It has a plot of some paranormal phenomenon which Mulder and Scully (or later Dogget and Reyes) have to solve, in the process revealing information about the characters lives and building up this wonderful chemistry that I keep mentioning.  In these episodes (and all of them really) it usually includes the part where Mulder splits off to follow a lead in the field and Scully goes to the county morgue or Quantico to perform the latest autopsy and chemical analysis of data.  The second type of episode is one that involves the overall connecting plot of government cover-up of extra-terrestrial life.  As an avid watcher, these episodes are what you live for.  I could not imagine having to wait week after week to see the next installment that continues this story (although I am sure that I would).  These episodes detail the struggle and suffering of Mulder and Scully's life that is sacrificed to find the truth, whatever that may be.  The final type of episode is one that I feel sets this show apart from others.  Chris Carter has used several different forms and spoof outlines for these episodes.  One example is the use of the show COPS.  Many of these episodes allow for the actors to show a different side of themselves, and believe it or not smile a little more.  One of my favorite of these was an episode where the same story was basically presented three times: how it actually happened, Mulder's view of the events, and Scully's view of the events.  The way in which the characters view each other's actions was brilliant! 

Due to my current obsession, I am sure that this will not be my last post about neither the X-Files nor actors David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson.  My goal is to pursue more information and connections that the show may reveal.  After-all "the truth is out there."








Photos from: sword.borderline-angel.com/.../aliens.html and Gillian Anderson Official Website

No comments:

Post a Comment

Glad you visited my corner of the world. Please share your thoughts!