Sunday, August 1, 2010

Life's Sacrifices

I have recently been having some philosophical mental discussions involving the sacrifices that I would be willing to make in specific situations.  Most of the scenarios include risking or sacrificing my own life for another.  I am not sure if everyone feels the same, though I somewhat assume so. I feel that I would be willing to give my life for another person.  I do not mean that I would give my own life just to save my best friend, husband, brother, or child, but anyone. 

This begs the question, "what about people who have done evil in their lives?"  In my mind, the sins they have committed in their life previous to this moment of my self-sacrifice only make them more in need of such a gift.  Those persons who would do the same for you or who have made similar sacrifices in their own lives do not deserve this ultimate gift any less.  This gift could just change the lives of some more drastically than others.  Perhaps the touch of un-selfish kindness could lead evil people to see that they should lead better lives.

 But again we must question ourselves about the amount of life actually left for that person.  Should a child who has his or her life fully ahead of them be easier to make this sacrifice for than someone older than yourself?   I think that if there was the choice between saving the child or an older person, I would choose the child.   However, if I was presented with the situation of choosing my own life or someone nearer to the end of their lives, I still think that I would make that sacrifice.  All of the scenarios are just hypothetical, and no one will know what they will really do in such a situation until they actually encounter it.  I truly hope that I will fulfill my predictions of my own reactions should one of these situations arise in my life.   

I also have been asking myself about the sacrifices I would make for my own child, and would I ever give him or her up.  First, I would sacrifice anything and everything of myself for my child.  Does this include giving them up? I am not sure.  There are definitely situations where giving up a child is too easy of an answer, but there are others where it is definitely the best option for the child.  The latter really falls under a different category for me; some people should never reproduce.  I know that such an opinion seems overly harsh and judgemental, but I truly believe in its significance.  Those who are physically or mentally inept and cannot care for their child properly, should not have children.   As humans we have increased our life expectancy through techonology.  Along with this, we have ruled out the laws of nature according to Darwin and other evolutionary theorists.  As humans we no longer have to adapt to survive; technology allows us to survive when nature would not.   If I knew that I had a debilitating disease that I could pass on to my children that would seriously effect their lives, I hope that I would come to terms with the fact that I should not create such a life.  I know that God chooses for life to happen, but our free will is also at play. 

What sacrifices would you be willing to make for your child? your spouse?  a stranger?

1 comment:

  1. In the words of Jack the Ripper (from Bab5): How do you know the chosen one? No greater love hath a man that he lay down his life for his brother. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame but for one person. Alone, in the dark where no one will ever know or see.

    ReplyDelete

Glad you visited my corner of the world. Please share your thoughts!